Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mod Podge Magnet Board

I had these friends in college I used to meet up with in the dining hall at dinner a couple nights a week.  I've often wondered if the creators of "The Big Bang Theory" were sitting at the next table over, since I'm pretty sure they were the inspiration for all of the characters (I like to think I'm the Penny of that crowd, of course, but I sense Shelle might have an entirely different opinion).  Anyway, they once had a several week-long debate about which invention has had the most impact on human life: plastic, penicillin, or the internet.  Well, boys, I've got a new one for you:

Mod Podge.

That stuff can do some seriously amazing things.  It's like glue, but on steroids and way more awesome.  I've used it a lot, especially recently, but I still can't get over the way it not only holds things together, but also forms such a smooth and finished surface over the top of paper and makes something we throw together on a whim in our living room look so professional.  (I'm also intrigued by the warning labels, but I figure since it's ingredients are thought to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm only in California and I live on the opposite side of the country I'll totally be okay.  (I do know that's not how it really works, but let me live happily in denial!))

Shelle and I headed to a graduation party this weekend for an old family friend (we're bringing couscous salad) and, since we're broke to the point that any money we could afford to stick in a card would be laughable, we decided to break out the Mod Podge and get our craft on.  Leigh is headed to college in the fall, and we wanted to give her something that would help liven up a drab dorm room, but also help her to stay organized.  Thus, our Mod Podge Magnet Board was born.  And the best part - it cost us even less than a couple bucks!



The only thing we had to go out and buy was a pizza pan, which we got at Walmart for 92 cents, everything else we already had in our crafting bins.  We simply cut some scrapbook paper to fit the pan, glued it on with a thin layer of Mod Podge, and then Mod Podged over the top (if Mod Podge is not already a verb, it clearly should be).  We dressed it up a little more with some ribbon hot-glued onto the board, and then added magnets made out of scrapbook paper Mod Podged onto tiles that spelled out her name.  We finished it up with a ribbon hot glued to the back so Leigh can hang it right up when she's settling in to her new digs in late August.  Congrats, Leigh!  We hope you like it!

Are you getting crafty for graduation party season?  Let us know what you're planning in the comments below!



No comments:

Post a Comment