Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken


Amanda is a vegetarian, and I am not. I eat a lot of vegetarian meals, but sometimes a girl just needs some meat. Chicken is by far my favourite and it is so easy to make on the side of a vegetarian dinner! When I buy chicken, I usually get a big bulk pack because the unit price is significantly cheaper than buying the smaller packs. I spend the time upfront and clean all of the chicken breasts and package them individually into sandwich bags, then when I want some chicken it is ready to go!
I like to experiment with flavors, but I always come back to barbecue. We live in a small apartment with no yard, so cooking chicken on a grill is out of the question. I use a large skillet and cube the chicken and add a little bit of olive oil. I like my chicken over cooked and crispy brown, so I cook it for about 15 minutes on medium-high heat. Right before the chicken is done, I add about 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 to 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce, a sprinkle of garlic powder and some red pepper flakes, I like it spicy. Let the sauce bubble and reduce for a minute or so before turning off the heat.
If you like more or less sauce on your chicken, you can change the ratio of sauce, sometimes I like to add in more of the sauce and have the chicken over rice.
This chicken does not disappoint! I had it last night with some corn on the cobb and salt potatoes, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment