Tuesday, July 3, 2012

English Muffin Pizzas


When we were in elementary school, my brother and I used to love half days of school.  Sure, getting out around eleven and having a free afternoon was always a good thing, but the real draw was in the lunch my mom would prepare for us: English Muffin Pizzas.

We ate english muffins pretty regularly, usually for breakfast with peanut butter or strawberry jelly.  Pizza was no rare treat either - as I've mentioned before, my parents have had a weekly Friday pizza tradition for at least as long as I've been around.  For some reason though, combining these two ordinary foods together just made magic in our minds.

And in mine, it still kinda does.


Trying to be frugal and still eat well can be tricky at times, so Shelle and I are always on the look out for sales.  Pretty frequently, our local grocery chain will have buy one, get two free deals on english muffins, and we always take that as an opportunity to stock up.  English muffins keep well in the freezer, so why not?  We always have pizza sauce on hand, and mozzarella cheese is a must in our fridge.  Sometimes I'll add black olives to mine, or Shelle will top hers with ham and pineapple.

Although we don't have the luxury of half days off of school anymore, English Muffin Pizzas haven't stopped being easy, cheap, or just plain delicious.  We'll combine them with a nice salad for a quick week night dinner, or just make a couple up for a light lunch or late night snack.


No comments:

Post a Comment