Monday, July 2, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Bake





Good evening! 


You will probably be hearing from me (Shelle) a lot these next few days. The Olympic Trials are on, so Amanda is in a trance. The Olympics were never really a big deal in my house, but in her family the world stops! I bet her parents used their vacation days just to watch the Olympics.


Anyways, we just finished dinner. Oh my god, it was sooooo good! We made a Spaghetti Squash Bake. We have been eating like crap lately, lots of smores and wine on vacation, so it was time to make something healthy, without compromising the flavor. 


We took one spaghetti squash, cut it in half, and roasted it in the oven at 375 for about half an hour. When it was done, we took a fork to it and scraped the squash off the sides and into a bowl. In that bowl we added half a box of frozen spinach and a grated zucchini. We squeezed some of the liquid out of both the spinach and the zucchini before adding it to the bowl. 


To the mixture we added almost a full jar of spaghetti sauce and put it in an 8 by 8 pan. We covered the mixture with a small amount of mozzarella cheese and baked it at 375 degrees for about half an hour until the cheese was brown.


It seriously tasted just like baked ziti. You can't taste the veggies, and the texture of the squash is similar to pasta. I think we will keep this one in the repertoire!





6 comments:

  1. Oh my god I just made this tonight and yummy!! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I love spaghetti squash! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much spaghetti sauce is almost a full jar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this last night and it was DELICIOUS! I also added a bunch of seasonal fresh veggies and some crushed red pepper for a kick, and it turned out great. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Sure! I would cook the chicken first, and add a little extra sauce! I think it would be delicious with sausage or pork too!

      Delete